Invited visiting students are enrolled as PhD candidates/postgraduates at a recognized foreign higher education institution and want to pursue a project (research, write a thesis etc.) at an institute at UZH. Invited visiting students can provide a letter of invitation from a researcher employed by UZH.
Important to Note
If you are enrolled at a university participating in the Erasmus+ Programme and want to pursue a project as mentioned above, you should apply through the SEMP Programme. You can find further information here.
- As an invited visiting student, you can stay at UZH for at least 2 and at most 12 months and you will be enrolled at UZH for the duration of your stay.
- Taking regular courses is not usually intended or required, unless it is recommended by your supervisor and in connection with the project.
- You cannot earn a UZH degree. There is no general right to be granted admission.
Admission Requirements & Application
- You are enrolled at your home university as a regular student during the whole duration of your stay at UZH (e.g. no leave of absence).
- You have studied the subject you plan to take courses in at UZH for at least two semesters at your home university's PhD program.
- An institute at UZH has agreed that one of their researchers will supervise you for a clearly defined duration in the framework of a certain project.
- For the duration of your stay, you are not employed by the UZH.
- A language level of B2 in the language of instruction as agreed upon with your supervisor is recommended.
Fees and Cost of Living
Invited visiting students are exempt from the semester fees at UZH. However, they need to make sure they have sufficient means to cover the living expenses in Zurich (eg. through scholarships, amount of CHF 1750 to CHF 2200 per month recommended) during their stay.